Friday, March 3, 2017

Fly to Vietnam and meet with technical difficulties

We arrive in Hanoi Vietnam today. Because of the flight change we are on a 7:00am international flight. That means at the airport by 4:00 to 4:30 am. I did book us into a hotel that was connected to the airport so it was just a walk. We finally get through security and customs in less than 1 hour. No major excitement. Dan did decide to lose another pocket knife.  He insists that he can put it in his carry on since we have had several flights already and he had no problem. Guess what another TSA gift although in Asia it's AOT. All is well until we land.

My cell phone has no service. We are aware that T mobile doesn't have a contract in one of the countries we are visiting and the plan is we will just get a chip at the airport of course we do have to find an ATM since I only have Thai money. We get through customs and the driver for the hotel is waiting for us. He points us to the first closest kiosk, no ATM in sight but they are able to change my money, although I am not sure what the exchange rate is for Baht to Dong. It seems pretty good to me. I gave him 4500baht and got 2814000 dong. Yes Virginia we are now real life millionaires, unfortunately I am not sure how much money in USD that equates to; I am sure not enough to buy dinner.

Dan gets the chip in his phone and bingo on  Vietnam phone lines. The chip is putin my phone and magic unable to install the new SIM card. The error message I got was the phone was still locked and would not accept a SIM card. We head to the hotel and use Dan's phone to send an email message to T mobile. It took them 3 hours to respond on the chat line to learn since this is a new phone and is on a payment plan it can't be unlocked. Of course this is contrary to what I was told in the store when I purchased the phone so for the next 10 days I have only access to free wifi. No phone or texts.

No comments:

Post a Comment